How to Make Matcha Bubble Tea
Add an exciting twist to your matcha green tea drinking habit by creating your own matcha bubble tea! If you think you’ve tried all the ways to enjoy drinking matcha - the traditional thick koicha preparation, the thinner, less dense usucha and cold brew matcha think again. These boba-infused cold drinks are the newest drink that’s taken over the internet that it’s no wonder bubble tea shops are sprouting up everywhere, maybe your favorite cafe has gotten into the trend as well.
Bubble tea today is what matcha was when the internet first marveled upon this heavenly, electric green drink. By injecting the ancient, time-honed umami of matcha powder into bubble tea, it’s a really cool fusion of old and new.
The proven health benefits of matcha tea thanks to its abundant storage of antioxidants make the habit of drinking it sound too clinical, where it comes off that there’s little enjoyment to be had from drinking it thus the need to resort to extolling its medicinal virtues.
In fact matcha drinkers know that’s totally wrong, some would even say they experience bliss from a bowl of matcha, and by adding matcha to bubble tea would be easier to convince your non-matcha drinking friends into believers. Now that your matcha drink has the coveted chewy boba in it, it actually looks tempting to drink.
If you’re doing it purely for your own benefit, congrats!
You’ve managed to find a way to inject your matcha drinking habit into another aspect of your life. It’s definitely for those days when it’s too hot for traditional matcha but a tall glass of cold matcha doesn’t cut it anymore and all you need is a new twist on the matcha you’ve grown to love.
Now here’s the Matcha Bubble Tea recipe you’ve been waiting for:
Matcha Bubble Tea
- 2 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 8 cups water
- 2 tbsps honey or sugar (optional)
- 750 ml almond milk
- ½ cup (120 g) ice cubes, plus more for serving
- 1 cup tapioca pearls (boba)
- Pot for boiling water
- Cocktail shaker
- Tall glass for your matcha bubble tea
- Bubble tea straw
1. First, you need to cook the tapioca pearls
- Heat the water to a boil
- Once boiling, add the tapioca pearls and stir until they float to the top
- Bring the heat to medium and leave the tapioca to simmer for 35 minutes
- Once the timer goes off, turn off the heat and cover the pot for 20 minutes
- Strain the tapioca from the water then add honey or sugar to sweeten them. Let it sit for 30 minutes
2. Prepare you Iced Matcha Latte
- Use a cocktail shaker to mix your ice, milk, matcha powder and sugar
- Shake vigorously for 10 seconds
- Pour this over the tapioca
- Get a bubble tea straw and enjoy!